1. The lean-forward, head-down posture of an indoor cycle trainer best imitates a real road bike experience. Whether you're staying in shape or practicing racing form, you'll see the benefits when you hit the road. All of a sudden that hill doesn't seem so intimidating.
2. Definitely go for the gel seat, both on your real bike and your indoor trainer. Gel seats spread the load without being mushy or chafing. No more yelps when you sit on a hard wooden stool.
3. Road bikes are addictive for all the right reasons: they're fast, fun, and you can join your friends in a speeding pack. When conditions keep you indoors, scratch your itch with a realistic cycle trainer.
4. Watch your form. cycle trainers are intense workouts, so make sure yours is set up properly. Your knee should be slightly bent with the pedal at full extension.
5. Electronic friction is the smoothest and most accurate way to control your workout. Added benefit: you can program your monitor to vary the pressure without you getting off the bike trainer, imitating the effect of tackling hills.
6. Lean forward. Shoulders down, head up. Tuck knees in and apply pressure all the way around the pedal stroke, pulling up and pushing down, through the bottom of the stroke as if you're wiping your feet. Indoor trainers are the best way to perfect your form and blow away your competition.
7. Some trainers help you hook up. Integrated computers track your progress, your calorie burn, and your mileage. Monitor your heart rate to hit your maximum zone accurately and safely, increasing your stamina.
8. If there are any junky brands in cycle trainers, we don't know of them. Only the best rides available here, including Stamina, Bladez, Kettler, and Phoenix.
9. A water bottle holder is one of the cheapest and most useful add-ons for any exercise gear, and that goes double for cycle trainers. You'll cook off a lot of water during your ride, and the bottle clips in the same place it would on your road bike. Get in the habit of drinking before and during your ride. Your workout will benefit.
10. Seriously, isn't it a lot easier to work out on something that looks as cool as an indoor trainer?